When I grow up and get married. . .

Martha Olney, adjunct professor of economics | January 20, 2010

What is the most compelling argument in favor of marriage?

Every child should be able to say, “When I grow up and get married. . .”

They shouldn’t have to asterisk the comment:  “When I grow up and get married*. . .  *[assuming that I’m not gay]”

They shouldn’t have to utter a mouthful:  “When I grow up and get married or form a domestic partnership with the person I love. . .”

They should just be able to say, “When I grow up and get married, . . .”

Every child.

Comments to “When I grow up and get married. . .

1. If the marriage was absolute guarantee of human happiness, so the society should have insist on it, but.. we know that almost half of marriages stop existing in a few years.

2. Marriage Equality = Civil Rights = Equal Rights

Just as the government doesn’t have the right to tell me what my religion is, the government doesn’t have the right to tell me what my sexuality/sexual orientation is; therefore, no one has the right to discriminate against me based on my sexuality. The government must treat its citizens equally. If all heterosexuals get to marry, then so do the homosexuals.

3. Exactly, Sharon. I’m not all that enamored of the whole “when I grow up and get married” paradigm, to be honest; I’d prefer if emotional ties were not a matter of State concern at all, and if little kids weren’t taught from infancy that marriage is the pinnacle of life experience. That said, if anyone gets to do this thing that brings such approbation, legitimacy, and access to official acknowledgement, protection, and — let’s be blunt — MONEY, then everyone should get to do it. It’s plain fairness.

My first domestic partner was a woman. She and I shared a home, a family, weddings, funerals, sickbed duty, and everything else that means “marriage” to me. It is insane that a man and woman can meet each other in Vegas, get married an hour later, and be more “married” in the eyes of the law than Jennifer and I were. It is just nonsensical.

4. Well put, Martha! And another – very simple – argument:

Under our nation’s constitution, every individual is entitled to equal protection under the law. Federal and state laws accord to the individuals joined in marriage an array of rights, privileges, and protections that are unavailable to individuals not joined in marriage. Thus the right to marry is a basic civil right, the right to equal application of the law.